How Sarah Palin Made Me Cry

My partner is a political scientist, so talking about politics is one of his hobbies. So I talk with him about politics, including the election every day. I also am a consultant for an organization that deals a lot with democracy. There is no escaping it.

Yet, I always keep it at a distance. It is not my ministry. It is not my passion. It is not what I study and love. I change the subject when it comes up at dinner, I try not to upset anyone, gently suggesting where I stand, but not going much further. How are those Red Sox doing anyway?

My mentor from high school who remains a friend wrote to ask me what I thought of Sarah Palin. I ignored his email the first time. I knew he probably disagreed with me.

He emailed again, so I told him. I didn’t want to tell it to him, or to myself. It feels something like Bush winning in 2004, only somehow worse. A mixture of disbelief and hopelessness. That there is simply nothing that can be done to save our country. Even if she and McCain do not win, I am so disheartened by the level of support that they have that it doesn’t even matter anymore if they win or lose. My dear mentor, who reads newspapers and is educated and cares about poor people and is not a radical Christian conservative, thinks Palin is great. Too many millionaires running our country in the past, he says. She can be a mom and a leader. He loves that she is anti-abortion, says being a governor provides plenty of experience. And the reason this made me cry sitting right here in Diesel Cafe is because I know he is a good person. If kind, giving, well-meaning people like him who keep up with the news can be convinced by Palin, then what is there to possibly be done?

Sarah Palin makes me cry because I hurt for our country. I try so often to not be overly dramatic or engaged with politics because it feels like such a futile use of my energy. I vote. I am involved in my community. Why get in a tizzy about things that I cannot do much about? Yet, for some reason, Sarah Palin did it for me.

I do not feel like some sort of partisan nut. I do not think the Dems are somehow amazing. But rather, I am just aghast at how bad the Republicans are. It is just that I care about poor people. I care about hard working people. I care about a country that tortures people. A country that is a world leader and runs around invading other countries based on manufactured intelligence. I care about women who have been raped who can’t have a rape kit unless they pay for it themselves. I care about our military people who cannot get decent healthcare after fighting for our country. Or ordinary people who cannot get health care. I am just sad for all the suffering that has been caused by the previous government, and a country that is not able to recognize that. I know many caring people support the Republicans, and have been won over by Sarah Palin. Which is what makes me so upset, I guess. That it is possible for large numbers of people who really do care about others to think that McCain and Palin really care as well. I am just so sad and frustrated that someone like Sarah Palin and John McCain can successfully portray themselves as people who are going to take care of our country… to take care of people.

I always felt like people who considered moving to another country were selling out, were being overly dramatic, were abandoning people in this country who need fairness and justice more than ever. We won’t leave. But I increasingly understand that impetus.

I will get over it. I will re-detach. Do what I can. But it hurts.

54 Responses to How Sarah Palin Made Me Cry

1. jacqueline says:

I JUST sent a letter to ALL of my female friends asking them to get together to me to come out as Obama Babes (ok, women who are for Obama). We live in Arkansas and this is an important statement for us to make. The more that the media tells me that McCain is winning white women the more sick I feel. SO, I am, with the help of my friends, hopefully going to stage a smart campaign back. We are white women who are voting for Obama. Don’t even get me started on Palin. I just can’t say nice things yet.

Yay! Thanks for the support. We are planning on holding some sort of little fundraiser to do our part. But, like I said, it feels so futile. But I suppose we can only do what we can do. So we will……

3. Lizard Eater says:

Well said, Elizabeth. You put my feelings into words. This *hurts* me. I wish that Saturday Night Live was on, and would do a skit, in which an actor playing Sarah Palin would express all her policy sentiments, and someone who would normally be aghast instead enthuses, “Yes, but she’s so SPUNKY!”

4. KyLydia says:

I concur, and I’m sorry that it made you cry.

5. uuMomma says:

Yep. You said it. I love Jackie’s idea–I’m working on slogans right now!

6. I think I’m at a similar place (except if one more person sends me a Women Against Sarah Palin email, I will hurl—and I’m against her, but it has nothing to do with being a woman, and I don’t wish to discuss her amniotic fluid).

Because we live in a very conservative area, I’m very aware that people I live next to, see every day, and generally like and respect, plan to vote for McCain-Palin. It makes sense to them. It seems like supporting two mavericks.

It makes no sense to me, but then I suppose that we are all different, that it is comforting to think that if we work hard, good things will happen, that the poor deserve what they get, that women who are raped brought it on themselves in some way. It’s a form of self-protection.

Rambling.

7. Rachel says:

So, how many rapes were there in Wasilla? North Carolina just changed their own law. The states that did charge insurance companies would take the funds from the state’s victims’ compensation funds if the victim didn’t have insurance. Also, no emergency room will refuse to treat even if the crime victim can’t pay. So, was anyone actually charged?

Has no one done any real reporting on this?

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Rachel, I’m not sure about the details on the rape kit, but for me, the point is not how many rapes there were in Wasilla, or how often people were forced to pay the collection of evidence of a rape, but the fact that she changed the policy so that rape victims had to pay ANYTHING (no matter if they could afford it or not). Attempted murder victims do not have to pay for the police to come and collect evidence at the scene of the crime. Those who feel they were raped should have the right to have evidence collected and never be expected to pay anything.

And, emergency rooms will refuse plenty of treatment, in general and related to rape, including refusal to stock or use a rape kit, refusal to stock or prescribe plan-b. Ask any person without papers or poor person about regular refusal to be treated at emergency rooms. And I have personally been present in an emergency room when it was initially denied that there was a rape kit available, and it was used only after calling a rape crisis advocate, who then called the police. After the police came, and talked to the staff, they “found” a rape kit.

Anyway, thanks for all the feedback everyone.

9. Pamela. says:

Elizabeth, Thank you for this post. I found it by googling “save our country from sarah palin”. I have been feeling sad, frustrated, and frankly, scared. I had been thinking exactly what you wrote – this is like a Bush 2nd term, but much worse. I was also just talking with some friends that I now understood why people talked about moving to another country. I am sad and tired from the pain of the past 8 years. I do try to connect in the community and work for Obama and feel like I need to do more, but mostly…I pray.

10. Kevin M says:

This is the best blog post I’ve read in a long time.

Almost every day I question how or why any person could plan on voting for McCain/Palin. I don’t like prejudging people, so when I come across someone who acknowledges their support for McCain/Palin I usually lump them into one of two “categories”:

1.) Ignorant of the national and world issues and vote based on a gut feeling, or based on something unrelated to any issue whatsoever. (i.e. “McCain was a war hero, he deserves to be president.”, “Palin is a hockey mom, I am soccer mom, I can relate.”)

2.) Hard-core partisan republicans who vote republican regardless of the candidate or issues.

Don’t get me wrong. I know that it’s not that simple and that there are an infinite number of reasons for why people vote for a particular candidate. I think it helps ease my confusion and frustration by blaming it on one of those two reasons.

The hardest to explain “category” is what Elizabeth’s friend falls into… somebody who you can vouch for in respects to their education, general concern for the well-being of humankind, and simply as a wonderful person.

I want to dissect people’s brains who think this way. It just confuses me to no end! I ultimately just want to find out WHY!? What facts are they overlooking? In a respectful manner, I want them point to both facts and feelings that formulate their decision.

I realize that it’s not fair of me to dissect someone else’s brain without having dissected my own brain first. Why do I like Obama so much? Do I like him for the right reasons? Why don’t I like McCain? Do I dislike him for the right reasons?

Elizabeth — I wish I had a friend like yours. I’d want to meet again with the voting history of every candidate on hand.

I’m sure there are similar websites, but this site breaks down each candidate’s voting history and support for certain issues: http://www.ontheissues.org. Combine their voting history with the more subjective factors that influence your opinion; like the positive impact it would be to have a black president vs. a female vice president, an inspiring president vs. a war-hero patriot president – and objective factors like experience, qualifications, etc… and then next time you meet with your friend, tell him every last reason you support Obama as opposed to McCain. After having explained your detailed opinion and offering him with the same voting history facts that you cite, now ask him to explain how “Sarah Palin and John McCain are going to take care of our country “. Maybe he’ll see the light, maybe you’ll understand him (and people like him) better, or maybe you’ll be saddened even more than the first time…

(Recently, an amazing NPR story, http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=94499874 , did a terrific job of dissecting a McCain and Obama supporters brains regarding whether or not race played a factor in their decisions. If you’re wondering why so many people support McCain/Palin, you’ll really like this radio segment).

11. Kevin M says:

When I said:

“I don’t like prejudging people, SO when I come across someone who acknowledges their support for McCain/Palin I usually lump them…”

I meant:

“I don’t like prejudging people, BUT when I come across someone who acknowledges their support for McCain/Palin I usually lump them”

:o/

12. Heather says:

I will post this same comment on Peacebang’s blog, where I found the link to you.

Be of good cheer! You are not alone. I think this is one of the fundamental affirmations of our UU faith.

In that spirit, I want to tell you that I was at a non-partisan rally yesterday in Anchorage where almost 1500 people showed up to say, “No, Sarah Palin does not speak for me.”

The idea for the rally began earlier in the week when a few women were having coffee together. And soon there were more than a thousand of us lining the grounds of the Loussac Library (yes, the library!), shouting to the world that some of us here in Alaska aren’t head over heels in love with Sarah Palin.

A few blocks away from the rally, I realized that I was afraid that no one would show up. And I was concerned about safety. A right-wing radio host had published the organizers’ phone numbers, and they had received threats.

But as I got closer, it was clear that people were showing up. They were streaming toward the library. And there were lots of them. It was billed as a women’s rally, but there were lots of men there, too.

The library’s parking lots were full to overflowing. I had to park a few blocks away.

As I walked into the crowds of people, I began to cry. As I said to several people at the rally, “Doesn’t it feel good to come out of hiding and be here together?”

I went to the Obama headquarters afterward, and received training to be a voter registrar, and got some more ideas about volunteering. A lot of people came in, some to volunteer, some to give money, all to get yard signs.

There’s coverage of the rally (with photos) at the Anchorage Daily News site (www.adn.com), and also on http://www.divasblueoasis.com, and http://www.mudflats.wordpress.com.

As one of the bloggers writes, 1500 people in Anchorage is like 40,000 people in NYC.

13. smith says:

the most detailed article I have found yet on the rape kit stuff… it doesn’t answer all the questions raised but it does begin to shed light on the subject… hope you find it helpful.

14. Tara says:

I think you hit it right on the head. What really bothers me is that so much of what Sarah Palin says has been proven to be misleading at best, outright lies at worst, yet these same statements get loud applause every time she speaks. I don’t want to believe that there are that many people out there–smart, caring, well-meaning people–who are so snowed by the Sarah Palin story that they don’t see the facts. Or do they see, and not care? It boggles the mind.

15. sexywhispers says:

Elizabeth,

You are not alone. So many thinking, feeling women like yourself (and me–and the women on my blog) feel exactly the same way you do. The hope is found that there are women strong enough to stand up and be counted when everyone else is under the spell. Remember, it is people like us who will brave the storm that make this country great…throughout history…when everyone sits by dazzled by the lights. It is what our country is founded on…one voice added to another…and another….to make up a movement of people who will not accept the status quo. Find happiness in the idea that McCain / Palin will cause us to really examine our beliefs and fight for them….because as Americans….that has always been our finest hour!

Wonderful post…keep posting. ~~Dee

16. other says:

Thank you for articulating just what I and many others I know are feeling right now. The more we talk about this, I think, the better chance we have in November. Thanks for contributing to this incredibly important conversation.

17. murrowcronkite says:

I’m with you on that.I’ve been crying for the last eight years.As soon as GW was elected I had an almost psychic revelation that our country would suffer and we know how that turned out.

18. everyoneelse says:

Can we suggest something that may help you, Elizabeth? Many of our country’s ills are serious, and we think that everyone can agree on that. There are issues of poverty, injustice, pollution, abuse of power, greed, and moral decline. Both Republicans and Democrats would agree that all of these are problems (with occasional outlying exceptions).

What is disagreed on is the way to tackle these problems. For instance, Democrats believe that the government should do its best to end poverty, and Republicans believe that the government does a poor job of managing money and redistributing it. Republicans don’t want poor people to be poor any more than Democrats want every woman to have an abortion.

Realize as you hurt over Sarah Palin having support that there are good, and well meaning Americans who cry over the same thing, but for Obama. These are not horrible people. They are good people who also love America, and fear for her future.

Conservatives do not wish for every child to be indoctrinated in forced Christianity in schools (in fact, that would be against the whole point of Christianity), and they don’t want to send all homosexuals to re-education camps. For every group of nut-jobs with “God hates fags” signs, there are a hundred churches that want to treat homosexuals with dignity. For every group screaming outside of abortion clinics, there are hundreds of groups seeking to help women who are agonizing with post-abortion pain, or crisis unplanned pregnancies.

While Sarah Palin may or may not be a good choice for VP, everything points to her being a sincere and respectable leader, even if you disagree with her. What hurts America most, is our turning other well-meaning Americans with different views into the enemy. Our country is more torn apart not by people with strong liberal or conservative positions, but by people who are waging a war of hate against other Americans (not referring to you), by doing things like purposefully spouting lies and vitriol (for instance, Sarah Palin had nothing to do with the “rape kit” issue, that was the police chief–it has been proved that she didn’t even know of it). Lincoln said that if destruction were to be our country’s lot, then would have to die by suicide.

That is what makes us cry. We hope you read this, and think about it, although we realize you probably won’t. But if you do, please know that we were trying our best not to say anything to hurt, but to heal.

• Kosan says:

WOW!! The best post that I have ever read. It’s time to open our eyes and stop demonizing each other for have an opposing view. I thought that that’s what true love is all about. If we continue to educate ourselves regarding issues that affect our lives then the truth will reveal probably reveal itself to you at some point. Results rarely lie.

19. murrowcronkite says:

I also applaud any woemen who can see through the religious whacko,school marm,barbie doll ,dominatrix facade to the evil and ineptitude that is underneath.

20. ellenharoutunian says:

I’m with you.

21. boyerling3 says:

Oh my goodness, you’re so stupid. You think that Republicans are somehow against helping the poor and underprivledged?!? That they go around to just be greedy for themselves? I think it is much more selfish to refuse to use national power (even to the point of using military force) to try and release people from an evil dictator, than it is to actually help out even if it hurts us in the process. What about abortion? The Republicans actually are thinking about the babies implicit rights, but liberals are only concerned about the selfish wishes of the mother. Well there are exceptions on all sides, I think the Republican is certainly more on the right track. GO McCAIN-PALIN!

22. Susan says:

I feel the same way as you. But.. don’t mourn, organize. Time to get to Obama HQ and work.

23. steadycat says:

I feel the same way as you. It feels like we are surrounded by sadists and Sarah Palin has giving them full permission to act on their ugly impulses. It hurts that people that I thought were good are now showing themselves to be fundamentally mean-spirited. This country does not feel safe anymore. And they don’t care. I had no idea we were so hell bent on hurting people – in this country. It makes me cry to understand that my own country is full of people who mean harm to people who do not look and act just like them. Sarah Palin is a good choice. When you need an excuse to show your hidden side.

24. faemom says:

Just to add my two cents. Thanks for the post. I feel a little hopeless too, except I hope that this will turn on issues soon.

And hey boyerling3. Chill on the name calling. We’re all trying to do what is right and think things through. We respect your opinions. Respect ours.

Thanks everyone.

Boyerling3, that was a totally convincing argument of why to vote Republican. Why didn’t I just see that GWB was trying to “release people from an evil dictator”? And those liberals! Only concerned with the selfish wishes of the mother!?! Gosh, thanks for clearing that up.

Everyoneelse, I appreciate your tone. Yet, we fundamentally disagree that “everything points to her being a sincere and respectable leader”. I am sure there are plenty of Republicans that fall into this category, but it is the very fact that that people can think such of McCain and Palin that I wrote this post. And, it is very clear that she did have something to do with the rape kits, although, the point here is not for me to list why I am unhappy about her as a candidate, or JM as a candidate, or GWB as a president. The point is that I am still having to defend those positions – that it is not clear to people from their own assessment of the situation – and that such positions are having to be defended so broadly. I know there will always be people who are Republican supporters no matter what. But the broad appeal after the last eight years, and of Ms. SP, leaves me very pessimistic about the future of our country. Not for ideological reasons, but rather because so many people continue to work so hard and still not be able to make ends meet. Anyway, I am rambling here. I appreciate all the visits and words of support, and also the words of dissent.

Much peace, Elizabeth

26. lifeispolitics says:

Sarah Palin has definitely made me cry. I get so involved in the entire process; too much so. And to watch the Repubs. tear Barack limb to limb for lack of experience than pick such a backwards and ignorant candidate like Sarah Palin makes me sad, sick, and completely distressed for the future of this once great nation.

27. echoing your cries… a professor of mine said that sarah palin is a “marginalized feminist” – that conservative feminists who value family and servitude are marginalized… I say they’re confused and bullied into these positions and yea, might be a little brainwashed.

Crying, too.

TPQ

28. sleepygirl says:

I feel the same way as you, Elizabeth. I practically screamed when I saw who McCain’s VP pick was, and it was obvious to me at the time that he was both pandering to the extreme right of his party and trying to convince the rest of us that he cares about women’s issues. Sarah Palin is an insult to the women’s movement and all we care about. Not only that, but her record in Alaska shows that her standard of ethics is far below what we need in the White House. I find myself wanting to cry when I see the blind men and women following her. How can they support her? Her story is NOT my story, and she doesn’t speak for me as a woman. All I can hope is that her supporters wake up to her lies before election day.

29. stevelowton says:

Elizabeth. Love your site. My friends and I are running with an idea we have around journeying. helping folk to find a way to tell their stories of journeys. One of my pals Tim Ocsko is running with a blog at the moment as a guest on my site.

You write like you care. Thanks.

Steve Lowton – Stories from the Street.

30. mssc54 says:

Elezabeth did it ever occur to you that even you may be wrong?

Here’s something I posted on my blog that I (personally) fouond a bit distasteful.

“I especially like the latest Democratic slur against Governor Palin.

“Jesus was a street organizer. Pontious Pilot was a Governor.”

Man talk about panic!

I would love for someone with a national stage to respond…

“Pontious Pilot knew the right thing to do but turned his back and washed his hands of it.

Pontious Pilot let his party get away with murder.

Sarah Palin is no Pauntious Pilot.”

I think that would kinda nail it down. (pun intended)”

31. gyma says:

Um, mssc54, I doubt anyone meant for you to plug names into that saying. Folks weren’t literally saying Obama was Jesus and Palin was Pilate. What they were trying to do was succinctly get across what community organizers do since the GOP appeared to get great joy out of mocking them. They do important work in their communities, and it appeared Palin didn’t know what they do.

32. awalkabout says:

Elizabeth, thanks for sharing. I have to agree. I worked for years for women to have the chance to be in such a position, and yet I can’t even imagine electing this one and taking SUCH a step back in terms of our rights. As if the Bush government hasn’t done enough to erode our civil rights—not no right to choice or hope of our gay brothers and sisters allowed to have the same marriage rights as the rest of us? I can’t bring myself to do it.

33. Jim B. says:

Maybe its because I live in the left-leaning Northeast, but I really haven’t seen any compelling reasons for McCain/Palin to win the election in November. Nothing spectacular about either of them in my mind. There’s more dirt flying around on Palin right now than I can keep up with. McCain’s record and behavior as a POW demonstrates to me that he is an honorable man and worthy of respect. That won’t swing my vote over to his side, however. I would really like to think this country is ready for a new approach after 8 years of W’s incompetence.

But if McCain/Palin do carry the day in November, I will be even more embarrased to be an American than I already am.

34. responsiblecitizen08 says:

Thank you for writing such an eloquent post. I have been feeling these same sentiments, but were unable to express them as articulately as you have. Take heart in knowing you are not alone. This must move us to action. We need to be the change that we want to see in the world.

35. mollyschoemann says:

Oh my gosh I feel exactly the same way as you do. These are scary times to live in. Thank you for voicing the concerns of so many people so well. It has also cheered me up to read from your comments that we are not alone.

36. Elizabeth.

Thank you for writing this post.

I could never have done it because I come from a wildly liberal obviously left bias, that makes me seem unable to look at both sides (and maybe I am – especially at this point) but I really appreciated reading your considered and thoughtful post.

If I could give you some small hope, it’s the hope that I found in coming across you (and all the comments you’ve received). Just when I’m about to completely despair (today, yesterday, every day seems worse) I come here and read your beautiful post and am reminded that if there are people like you out there, who may not be hardcore obvious Dems (like me), but are intelligent thoughtful, caring people, that are sick of what we have had for eight years, and are not fooled by McCain/Palin, then I think there is still hope for all of us.

Let’s hold on to that in all this madness. It’s ironic that Obama’s original message (prior to change) was HOPE. I think the message is back to HOPE. We’ve all got to hold onto it now more than ever, and be as active as we can, so that it maybe it actually all comes true.

I really can’t take a third broken heart.

37. mssc54 says:

1979semifinalist… HOPE for what? Which of Obama’s SPECIFIC policy’s (and how will it be funded) do you support.

Comon folks let’s not get not get caught up in EMOTIONS. Our country deserves better.

[Posted edited by Elizabeth – I like to keep things relatively nice on here, no snappy nasty comments to people, ehh? But glad to have you here – mssc54.]

38. Cat says:

Your post rang true for me so much. It really illustrated how I have been feeling perfectly.

Golly, these comments just keep going.

1979 semifinalist, I know it is hard – not to give up, throw in the towel – so hard to balance between engagement and keeping our hearts in it, and some level at detachment so that we don’t just despair and lay in bed bemoaning the state of things.

Jim B., I neither have seen “any compelling reasons for McCain/Palin to win the election in November” yet it is just that the polls – both on a national level and at the electoral college level indicate differently. It will all hinge on voter turnout, which is notoriously difficult to predict.

Thanks everyone. Keep on going. Hoping. Praying. Whatever it is you do. Heavens knows our country needs it!

Peace, Elizabeth

40. MSSC54:

I’m not going to get into a huge political debate with you on Elizabeth’s blog, suffice to say that I checked out your blog (and maybe you checked out mine) and we could not be further away in our beliefs if we tried. So no reason to get into a policy debate here.

I will say that you comment above about the whole Jesus/Pontius Pilot spin is a perfect example of how differently we see things. What I saw was the Democrats trying to cleverly defend the fact that Rudy Giuliani made fun of Obama for being a community organizer at the RNC. It was a hateful mean snickering speech, and yet I am not surprised that the Dems attempt at a funny (and accurate) explanation is being treated as “SLANDEROUS AND HORRIBLE!” by the Republicans. But I understand that is not at all your perception. It’s just one of the millions of examples of how far apart you and I are. And how you and I represent the fact that this country may not be able to be fixed – I will never be able to convince you of my opinions, and you will never be able to convince me of yours, but the country is pretty well split in half these days and that’s a hard way to survive…and thrive.

For the record, even if I disagreed with Obama’s policies – foreign, economic, military, etc. (which I don’t) I am a liberal and a Democrat largely because of social issues. I am pro-choice and I believe in equal rights for people regardless of gender, race, or sexual orientation, those kind of beliefs pretty much kick me out of the republican inner circle even if I wanted in…

41. everyoneelse says:

Elizabeth,

We read your reply. Thank you for that. We feel very honored to be able to have a political conversation that doesn’t involve name calling and ridiculousness caused by people having no logical basis for their opinions.

In terms of the Sarah Palin and rape kits, please share the info that you have that leads you to understand that she was responsible. We have seen otherwise, and while we don’t doubt you, we want to understand. It is difficult, because there are a lot of really awful lies (on both sides, but particularly against Palin) out there right now.

Not that we have it all worked out, but our advice (and this goes for anyone reading this) is to purposefully establish some friendships with people of opposing viewpoints where you can dialogue together. Honestly, when was the last time many of you sat down and had lunch with a Conservative? You (in the plural) might find that you realize that they aren’t horrible Cruella Deville types at all, just people with different views.

It is kind of sad when some people want to sit down and talk nicely with terrorists, but constantly voice the desire to see people of the opposite political party killed.

42. Josh says:

Yeah, all these ideas of Palin and crying makes me wonder if Palin is going to cry if he public image gets much worse.. IT WORKED GREAT FOR HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!!!

43. Jim says:

Obama’s economic ideas concern me. Raising the Minimum Wage has repeatedly been shown to hurt the poor most, as well as small businesses. It helps the rich, as well as large businesses. It creates unemployment, and creates pressures that typically result in inflation. Yet Obama wants to index the wage to inflation. That results in runaway inflation, which usually results in a devalued currency. That further drives up our fuel prices and destroys our buying power. If raising the Minimum Wage was a good thing, Congress wouldn’t keep spreading the increases granted by a single vote over multiple years. They spread it out to diminish the harm it causes.

I care about the poor as well, but the Constitution doesn’t grant any authority that I can find to Congress to do anything about it. But the 10th Amendment does grant those powers to the States or the People. It’s the people that made this nation great. Only in the last century did we start most of the social programs that consume the vast majority of our federal tax money. These projects used to be local or on a personal level, which costs less. We are all called to help each other. When the federal government gets involved, we turn acts of charity into careers. This costs money, and most programs add double-digit percentages to their costs for administration costs at the various additional levels of government that ensure funds are spent properly, and to codify under what conditions people are entitled to assistance. We waste fortunes by solving local problems common to most parts of the nation at the federal level. Face it, our nation’s founders had to deal with education, health care, unemployment, retirement, etc. Yet, none of those programs or departments existed until many generations of Americans had come and gone.

I support the concept of the FairTax plan, but recognize the primary argument against it, which is the high percentage. FairTax wipes out all other federal taxes, and shifts all taxation to the point of sale, since all business taxes already appear in some way in the cost of products or our paychecks. It also pays everyone in advance, the amount of the tax paid by someone spending at the level of poverty. Thus, it creates zero tax for those in poverty. But the tax rate it calls for is 23%, which is the percent of the final cost. The amount added is actually 30%, and some people suggest that the rate should actually be between 40-60% to be revenue neutral. The reason I bring this up is that the average person doesn’t realize how much money the federal government consumes. If people oppose a 40-60% tax, they should oppose the taxes they are already paying, because we pay for it one way or another already. Of course a small percentage of people pay the majority of the tax.

Democrats talk a lot about helping people, but their plans cost a fortune compared to the alternatives, and often make problems worse or make new problems that are worse than the original ones. It’s not that Republicans don’t care about people, it’s that they recognize that such problems are solved best by the people that made this nation great, or at more local levels of government. My main complaint is actually the Republicans that make promises that counteract this and thus counter the Constitution.

It also concerns me though that someone can consider questions about who the nation respects the rights of as being above their pay grade. For someone currently in Congress, running for President, and having studied Law in college, it seems like a candidate with exposure to all branches of government can’t make a decision crucial to a functioning government.

44. ad says:

Jim: I’m so glad you expressed conservative methods in handling the economy and poor people and showed everyone how dangerous an Obama presidency would be. I too feel frustrated that Liberal Democrats don’t come out and say they are socialists. True Democrats at one time were conservatives (at least those in the north and some in the south; ie John Kennedy). No one gives Republicans any credit in the Civil Rights movement (Eisenhower was the one who introduced a bill on Civil Rights for blacks and it got voted down by Democrats!) I for one feel that people between the ages of 18 to 30 still do not have a grasp of history and can’t see how it is repeated. Rush always says that “history goes as far back as when the person was born.” In other words, they don’t look past their current situation.

If Mr. Obama could be truthful and tell everyone that he aligns himself with Marxist-socialism instead of protraying himself as a Centrist; it would make everything more clearly understood when his policies have evolved from far left policies to centrist ones only for political gain.

But I guess people are caught up in the centrist hype – did you all see how Obama answered the self-employed plumber (owns his own business)? The plubmer asked Obama why would he raise his taxes that he knows total earnings are more that $250,000. Obama replied “we have to share the wealth to those who don’t have any.”

This is what makes motivated, hard working people upset. This country was founded by Christians (look it up – historically true) they came up with the Constitution – no where in this document does it say that people have rights to another persons gain.
    We are free to work, own property, work for prosperity.

When you give money or things away to people who don’t work; is that going to make them get up and work????

Also, just for grins, earlier this year there was a report that Republicans/Conservatives give more to charity than Liberal/Democrat/Socialists. I wonder why? YOu can show your emotions of dispare and such but action is what makes this country work.

45. Cat says:

What bothers me most about the conservative argument is it’s always based in attacks and anger. And I am so tired of the socialist threat I could just about cry. Can the conservative alarmist of the world please spare me the socialist tag for Obama. Last time I checked we still have congress and the senate. It was the contract for America and a republican majority in the house and senate that kept Clinton from going too far left. But who has kept Bush from going too far right? This is a democracy the last time I checked and no one group’s world view should dominate. So I guess my point is conservatives you have had 8 years and it has been a complete disaster for 95% of us. How about allowing the next 8 to be a little more clintonesque so us working class folk can get a breather.

Oh and ad, the whole people working so others can stay home is so tired. So very tired. Americans will never work so others can stay home. The one homeless shelter in my town is funded by a church. There is no free lunch in this country, never has been and never will be. And most charities are funded by people making $50,000 a year or less. We seem proud of our desire to privatize and profit from everything including our health and thumb our noses up at the rest of the civilized world as the wealthiest country in the world whose wealth only consists of 1% of our population is the only one without universal health care. You can rest easy, nothing can take our country away from the top 1%’s tight fist. Certainly not 8 years of Obama. And I don’t need Rush to tell me to look it up, I know my history. And it wasn’t republicans or democrats that have given African Americans a raw deal, it was AMERICANS the whole lot of them. So it really doesn’t matter to me if you are affiliated with the party of Lincoln who accepted Jesse Helms, Trent Lott, and Strom Thurman when civil rights was just too much for them to stomach. Or if you are affiliated with the party that finally decided after 10 years of media coverage of kids being attacked by dogs and water cannons that it was time to pass civil right legislation. Both sides have equal blame in slavery and the discrimination that followed.

46. Marti says:

Howdy would you mind letting me know which web host you’re utilizing?

I’ve loaded your blog in 3 completely different internet browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot faster
    then most. Can you suggest a good hosting provider at a honest price?

Cheers, I appreciate it!

47. Wilbert says:

Hello there! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you if that would
    be okay. I’m definitely enjoying your blog and look forward to new posts.

48. Wszystko w jak najlepszym porządku. Przyjazny kontakt
    i szybka obsługa

49. Fantastic web site, just lately been scouting forever and a day for tips on the
    very best rattan furniture pieces for our home and in our garden. The site really helpedgreat blog some great info
    here

50. Wonderful page, previously been searching forever and a day for tips on the
    best rattan furnishings for our home and in our garden. This
    website seriously helpedgreat blog some great info here

51. PB rowery says:

Fabuła zbliżona każdemu, zalecam lekturę

52. Great article. I’m going through a few of these issues as